Forget it, there are none.
Caught you looking, though, and can’t blame you one bit. This is really hard work, and there is simply no substitute for clear goals, strong planning, a realistic timeline, transparent reporting and all hands on deck.
If you truly want a short list of things to do to assure the above title, I suggest these:
- Anticipate what might not work, not what you hope to have happen.
- Have a plan B, and maybe even a plan C.
- Exit strategies, escape hatches and emergency slush funds are handier than you might think- add one or two.
- Expect a loose cannon, and have your response language prepared and practiced.
- Drive defensively; there IS someone out to get you.
There is really nothing I would rather do than nonprofit work: it matters and I care.
But after more than 20 years doing this, I am older, wiser and infinitely better informed that my idealism ever prepared me to be. I do believe in the fundamental goodness of people, but have reservations about how we sometimes handle business.
Get in touch here or by calling 310 828 6979.
Cindy Lauren is the Principal of Lauren Associates – non profit consulting
As well as advising Executives and Boards on all aspects of nonprofit management, the firm specializes in developing fundraising solutions for all sizes of organizations.